Wednesday, September 07, 2005

missing the same imaginary place

Large: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of a sudden, even though you have some place where you can put your stuff, that idea of home is gone.

Sam: I still feel at home in my house.

Large: You'll see when you move out; it just sort of happens one day, and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean, it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start; it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.
-Garden State

This dialogue probably hit me harder than any other scene in the movie. For some time now, I've had exactly that feeling inside; the desire to have that sense of family, with the parents coming home from work and me and my siblings coming home from school, and yapping about this patient or that baseball game or this dance recital... At the time, you don't realize it; these are just the little, trivial, non-descript events that made up the day. But then you look back on those moments, and you realize that that was what felt good about being a kid.

I guess I don't have much more to say... I just thought of that scene and wanted to share it. I can't write more without getting sappy (this movie hits close to home on way too many levels), but if you haven't seen Garden State, you should definitely check it out. (Zach Braff's from my hometown, and it was cool seeing all the South Orange landmarks from my childhood)

No comments: