Thursday, October 27, 2005

being old

When did we get so old? I remember being a little kid, collecting comic books and playing in little league.

I remember middle school, getting over the fact that girls had the cooties.

I remember high school, learning to drive and going to parties that didn't have birthday cake.

I remember college, and ... and... ok, I remember having nights which are complete blanks in my memory.

And now, I'm 24? Rent checks? Utility bills? Buying my own clothes? Being in my mid-twenties? What happened to my early-twenties? I didn't sign up for this.

In a while, I'll have some job (doctor? eh, we'll see how that goes).

After that, I'll have a wife (again, we'll see how that goes).

After that, I'll have a kid or two.

But what's this BS period that I'm in now? I'm supposed to be mature and responsible, but I sure don't feel like a responsible adult. I'm supposed to take advantage of my youthful years, have fun and experience the world, but I've got work to go to, schools to get into, and bills to pay. This age is like some sick catch-22. Writing about it is making my head hurt, but this scene from a cinematic classic pretty much sums up my feelings on growing up:

3rd Grader: How's high school Billy?
Billy: High school is great. I'm learning new things and everyone is really nice.
3rd Grader: Gee, I can't wait till I get into high school.
Billy [whispering]: Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it.

No comments: